Skip to main content

Book Revew: Henrietta the Dragon Slayer(The Five Kingdoms #1) by Beth Barany

Disclaimer: I was sent this free ebook by the author in exchange for an honest review

 Henrietta, the legendary Dragon Slayer of the Kingdom of Bleuve, can't stomach the thought of one more kill. Yet, in order to save her dying mentor, she must go on one last quest. But will misfit companions, seasickness, and an ego maniacal king derail the quest for the healing stone? And will she be able to cut past her conscience and kill the dragon?
__________________________________________________________________________

Although I am not a big fantasy fan I did enjoy reading this book. I loved that Barany wrote Henrietta as a strong, independent, and no taking crap from anybody type of person. Anytime I read reviews or synopsis of a strong lead heroine it automatically has won me over. This story is about adventure and friendship.

  Henrietta is on a quest to save her mentor that has fallen ill. Even though she never thought that she would go back she felt compelled to go and save him. Although she prefers to travel alone she has three other companions that are with her.


  There is Framc the Knight. He is one of the first characters that is introduced at the beginning of the book. He was sent to get Henrietta for his king's wishes and he isn't taking no for an answer. At first I didn't like this character because he was very sarcastic and talked a lot of smack to Henrietta about "women can't do what men can do" kind of things. As the story went on I did enjoy reading about him.

Jaxter  the jester is probably my favorite character since we got introduced to him. I think if he were real we would be best friends.I know there would never be a boring moment! He keeps the group together. Basically he is the glue for them. He has a gift of story telling and he loves food! I love a guy that can cook :)

And finally we have Paulette who is a  witch in training. She kind of reminded me of the person that you would want to be around if you were having a bad day. It just cools you down


This was a good and quick read.I read it in one sitting!  Although I did feel that it was slow especially at the beginning while they were on their adventure. There were times it was getting boring but  I have a rule that once I start a book I finish it so I kept on reading and I'm glad that I did. 


Rating 3.5 stars

Would I recommend it? Yes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mister Book Review

Goodreads synopsis:  London, 2019. Life has been easy for Maxim Trevelyan. With his good looks, aristocratic connections, and money, he’s never had to work and he’s rarely slept alone. But all that changes when tragedy strikes and Maxim inherits his family’s noble title, wealth, and estates, and all the responsibility that entails. It’s a role he’s not prepared for and one that he struggles to face.   But his biggest challenge is fighting his desire for an unexpected, enigmatic young woman who’s recently arrived in England, possessing little more than a dangerous and troublesome past.  Reticent, beautiful, and musically gifted, she’s an alluring mystery, and Maxim’s longing for her deepens into a passion that he’s never experienced and dares not name. Just who is Alessia Demachi? Can Maxim protect her from the malevolence that threatens her? And what will she do when she learns that he’s been hiding secrets of his own?   I will admit I did have some kind of salty...

Promo Blitz: Catharsis by Michael Tyler!

Fantasy, Adventure Date Published:   December 2016 The Unleashing of the Unconscious Conflicts of Michael Anthony Publisher: Page Publishing, Inc. Catharsis is a story about a young black man trying to escape life in the United States of America and finding himself, love, and purpose in the wonderland of his mind. Michael Anthony, the main character, evolves from a most naive to a man of the world who is lost and alone. Along the way, he journeys to many places of wonder, meeting many people of color and temperament, and learning a lot about himself and life and living and love. About the Author Mr. Michael Tyler was born in Richmond, VA, on the twelfth of March in the 1950 (he was only nine months old). He was reared in an environment full of racial and geop...

June TBR

So I have been in a fantasy mood lately. I think it may have to do with Summer Reading at the library because our theme is dealing with fantasy and science fiction. With that being said, I used my library and gathered a bit much of some fantasy books. I am going into them blind which I prefer because I want the whole concept of the book to (hopefully) blow me away. I have a few romance thrown in as well :) It's my birthday month so hopefully these books treat me well!   The city of Bulikov once wielded the powers of the gods to conquer the world, enslaving and brutalizing millions — until its divine protectors were killed. Now, Bulikov’s history has been censored and erased, its citizens subjugated. But the surreal landscape of the city itself, forever altered by the thousands of miracles its guardians once worked upon it, stands as a haunting reminder of its former supremacy. Into this broken city steps Shara Thivani. Officially, the unassuming young woman is just another...